What should you do if you smell of fuel gas at your house?
Best Ways to Identify a Gas Leak in Your Home. Natural gas, which is actually an odorless gas, has been scented with the smell of rotten garlic so that it can be easily recognized in case of a gas leak. When you hear a similar smell;
- Open the door and window and ventilate the environment.
- Turn off the main valve.
- Lighter – do not light matches.
- Do not turn on, turn off or unplug electrical equipment.
- Don’t use and do not let the doorbell be used.
- Do not use your phone as it may cause sparks.
- Have everyone evacuate the place with the gas smell.
- Call the Natural Gas Emergency Line from your neighbor or the nearest place. If you cannot reach them, call the fire department.
- If the smell is coming from the basement, do not enter the basement.
- Do not try to fix the fault yourself.
- If you feel a slight smell of gas near your gas appliance, your pilot light is faulty.
- Show your device to the service for repair.
What Should You Do If You Smell Gas Outside Buildings? Best Ways to Identify a Gas Leak in Your Home
When you detect the smell of gas outside the buildings, immediately call the NATURAL GAS EMERGENCY phone and report it.
- Warn the people in this place,
- If there is an excessive gas leakage, cut off the electricity of that area,
- Ensure that the area is cordoned off and traffic is stopped to secure the area.
- Even if the smell of gas is outside the building, the gas leak may be in nearby buildings and especially in basements. In this case, do not enter the basement and warn the emergency response team.
The points to be considered while giving notice are as follows:
- Your name, surname and phone number
- Address and description of the area where gas is smelled
- Intensity of gas odor (low, high, excessive… etc.)
When the Emergency Response Team arrives, help them
- What Should You Do If You Smell Gas in the Apartment Space?
- To ventilate the environment, open the building entrance door and all the windows that open to the light.
- Turn off the main natural gas inlet valve at the building entrance.
- Don’t smoke and do not light matches, lighters or fires.
- Do not operate your electrical appliances, do not turn off the working ones.
- Don’t use light switches and doorbells.
- Do not operate elevators and similar devices.
- Don’t use telephones in the building where there is a gas leak.
- Inform the Natural Gas Emergency Line.
- Inform the apartment manager.
Safety Recommendations Regarding Natural Gas Devices Best Ways to Identify a Gas Leak
If you want your devices to work efficiently and reliably, follow the manufacturer’s manual. Improperly installed or poorly maintained appliances produce carbon monoxide, a toxic gas. Some of the situations that cause carbon monoxide gas in natural gas appliances are as follows:
- The special wrapping is not done well or there is dust in the burning parts of the device.
- Clogging of the chimneys.
- Obstruction of fresh air intake.
- Although carbon monoxide is colorless, tasteless, and odorless, inhaling carbon monoxide can cause nausea, fainting, colds, and similar symptoms. Excessive exposure to carbon monoxide causes death. If you suspect that your natural gas appliance is not working properly, have it serviced by authorized service personnel.
Best Ways to Identify a Gas Leak
Cooking stoves and chimney gas appliances cannot be placed in volumes smaller than 12 m3. These types of devices must have ventilation openings opening to the atmosphere with at least 100 cm2 net passage from the place where they are located. These vents must remain open at all times. Care should be taken to open the grille from the wall or window opposite the device. In addition, regardless of the size of the volumes, they will be placed in, chimney devices cannot be placed in places such as open balconies, bedrooms, bathrooms, WCs, and flue connections cannot be made by passing smoke pipes from bathrooms, WCs, and bedrooms.
There should be a chimney with good traction in the section where the chimney devices are located and the device should be connected to this chimney.
Waste gas pipes should be placed at a distance of at least 20 cm from building elements such as doors and windows. The distance between the heated outer surfaces of the gas appliances and the items used must be at least 50 cm. The chimneys of gas appliances with balance chimney (hermetic) must be connected to places that are open to the atmosphere and have air circulation.
Vented devices take the air necessary for combustion from the environment they are in. Due to aesthetic concerns, putting these devices in a cabinet prevents the fresh air needed for combustion and reduces the quality of combustion.
Safety Recommendations for Kettles
- Do not install the water heater in places where flammable, combustible, and explosive materials are placed.
- Keeping the water temperature low protects people from scalding accidents. Children, the disabled, and the elderly are often weak and incapable of healing from scalding injuries. If the water temperature is above 50°C, it can cause severe burns, scalding, and even death. Before adjusting the temperature, be sure to read the instructions for use of the kettle.
Roof Insulation Safety
Roof insulation helps keep energy bills low. However, there is a risk of fire if proper insulation is not made. Therefore, if you are considering or already doing insulation, pay attention to the following safety precautions.
- Insulation; Keep away from ovens, water heaters, fan motors, doorbell transformers, chimneys and gas burners, and similar heat sources.
- Install flammable, combustible, and non-explosive insulations around such heat sources.
- Keep the insulation away from bare and tube wires as much as possible.
- Do not cover roof or eaves pipes. Periodically check your roof for possible insulation deterioration.
Precautions to be Taken in Natural Gas Fires
Unlike many other types of fire that must be extinguished immediately; The general rule to be applied in extinguishing gas fires is to first cut off the gas flow and then extinguish it. Therefore, it should not be attempted to extinguish the gas fire immediately, it should be allowed to burn until the gas flow is cut off. In the meantime, until the fire is extinguished by cutting off the gas, the nearby combustible materials should be removed, if possible, or protected by cooling them with water, in order to prevent them from igniting by absorbing the heat emitted from the burning gas. If it is absolutely necessary to extinguish the fire in order to close the valve that will cut off the flowing gas, the valve should be closed by extinguishing the gas flames in a very short time.
If unburned gas continues to flow when gas flames are extinguished with carbon dioxide or other types of extinguishers, it will most likely form an explosive mixture with air, causing an explosion if it reaches any ignition source. This explosion can cause much more damage than the damage that may occur due to the combustion of the gas. Therefore, first of all, great importance should be given to cutting the gas flow.
Importance of Natural Gas in the Prevention of Chimney Fires. Best Ways to Identify a Gas Leak in Your Home
Since natural gas is a clean fuel, it does not create soot or soot in the chimneys due to combustion. However, new natural gas users will heat more efficiently if they have the soot and soot accumulated in the chimneys cleaned due to the old fuels they use.
There are warnings on the front of all-natural gas bills sent to customers regarding chimney cleaning. The cleanliness of the chimneys and their compliance with the standards not only provide fuel savings with complete combustion but also eliminate the possibility of a chimney fire.
The share of chimney fires in total fires is too high to be underestimated. With the spread of natural gas, the rate of chimney fires started to decrease. While the share of chimney fires in total fires was 30% in 1991, this rate decreased to 10% in 1999. Chimney cleaning should not be neglected, and chimney cleaning should be done by contacting the Fire Department once a year.